Date & time: Sunday, March 4, 2018, 11AM – 5PM
Location:Â Kickstarter HQ (58 Kent St, Brooklyn, NY 11222)
SAWCC is partnering with Kickstarter for their 2018 Art + Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thonâ€” a collaborative campaign to help improve the coverage of women in the arts on Wikipedia!
Join us atÂ Kickstarter HQ in Greenpoint, Brooklyn on March 4th for an all-day communal updating of Wikipedia entries on subjects related to art and feminism. People of ALL gender identities and expressions are welcome to participate, and we especially encourage women, transgender, gender nonconforming, and non-binary individuals to take part. RSVP Required
- In a 2011 survey, the Wikimedia Foundation found that less than 10% of its contributors identify as women. This disparity represents an alarming absence of representation in an important repository of shared knowledge.
- Last year, Kickstarter, six partners, and neighborhood friends and family gathered at Kickstarter HQ to amplify, diversify, and grow the voices of women on Wikipedia. They hosted 35 editors and added over 20,300 words across 58 articles â€” 7 of which were brand new.
- This year, theyâ€™re aiming to go above and beyond, and need ourÂ help to make it happen:
HOW TO TAKE PART
- SAWCC is collecting names of self-identified South Asian women artists who’ve been a part of SAWCCâ€™s history / ecosystem that we can create or edit pages for during the event. If you have any suggestions of artists please submit them via email to email@example.com with the subject line “Artists for Edit-a-thon 2018”
- During the event, people will then be able to pick and edit artists from any of the partners’ lists (see the end of this post for a full list of partners).
- RSVP through the Eventbrite page here to attend the event: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/kickstarter-art-feminism-edit-a-thon-tickets-41847603308?aff=KSR
- Be sure to create a Wikipedia account before March 4th. (You can learn how to do that here:Â https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ACreateAccount&returnto=Main+Page)
- Kickstarter will be providing tutorials for beginner Wikipedians throughout the day, as well as plenty of reference materials.
- Bring a laptop and power cord.
- Don’t want to be an editor? Come by to help with research, promotion, and facilitation.
- Light refreshments and lunch will be provided. Childcare is also available upon request (email firstname.lastname@example.org), and we’ll have a few laptops available for use.
Art + Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon events are happening around the world throughout the month of March! To learn more, head here:Â http://www.artandfeminism.org/